Monday, February 08, 2010

More Thoughts About the Euro 2012 draw

And my rationale for my picks.

Group A: Winner Germany, Runner-Up Turkey:

I selected Germany to win the Group. I don't think I really need to explain that selection. The strongest team in the group by far and every other country will likely be fighting for a runner up spot in that group.

I picked Turkey to finish second and that was a gut pick. But look out for Belgium as a potential dark horse.

Group B: Winner Russia, Runner-Up Ireland:

I feel that Russia is really on an upswing and they'll qualify easily. A strong system, a great coach and talent playing all over the world is a recipe for success.

I feel Ireland's near miss (we'll politely call it that) at qualifying for the World Cup will galvanize them to qualify for this tournament. Slovakia will be the strongest contenders for that runner up spot.

Group C: Winner Italy, Runner-Up Serbia:

Italy isn't my favorite team in the world but besides their wonderful food, and stunningly friendly people and gorgeous women is a team that just constantly gets results. The last time they failed to qualify was the 1992 Euro Championships.

Serbia is my runner-up pick but this Group is difficult to predict. Northern Ireland is likely to qualify but they are this thorn in the side of bigger countries. They'll steal points from teams expecting an easy three points. That's not even mentioning Slovenia.

Group D: Winner France, Runner-Up Romania:

France might be in their last hurrah but it's not over for them just yet. They'll win this group handily. Yes, I went there. Bosnia is right up there though to pip Romania for the runner up spot.

Group E: Winner Netherlands, Runner-up Sweden:

This is probably the worst group of them all. Netherlands should qualify easily and I believe Sweden will pick up enough points to win the best runner up spot and automatically qualify.

Group F: Winner Greece, Runner-up Israel

I know this pick is a little controversial but I don't see Croatia qualifying, Greece always seems to get it done and I believe Israel will get the runner up spot. This time they'll perform and actually get the points they should get. They might even win the group.

Group H: Winner Portugal, Runner-up Denmark.

Probably the worst group of them all. Portugal should win in dominating fashion. No best runner-up here.

Group I: Winner Spain, Runner-up Scotland.

I think the Czechs are on their way out of the elite club in world football. Spain should win and Scotland should finish second.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: